Thursday, July 22, 2010

Updated Pictures: July 19th

WELCOME!
My Summer Garden Mid-July 2010.


Left side bed.

My Japanese Cucumbers have just been so happy. They've produced about 10 cucumbers that are so crunchy and refreshing.


This is the San Marzano Tomatoes.

Unfortunately the squirrels love to try and steal them. They have succeeded a few times and I find half eaten tomatoes around my and neighboring gardens.

Champion Tomatoes. If you look closely, you will see white spots on the leaves. This is the start of mildew. This years summer in Santa Monica has been exceptionally moist and overcast. Most days through June and July have been foggy in the mornings until early afternoon and then it burns off. By 5pm, it rolls back in and the temperature drops to the upper 50's to 60's. My neighboring gardeners are battling it as well. It spreads easily and is hard to control in this community environment. I make sure the cut the mildew leaves off immediately in order to control this disease and preserve the plants health. I will keep you updated as we move into August. Any advice would be gladly accepted! I am going to research organic products to use as a spray.

(On left) Sugar and Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkins and a Black Cherry Tomato. I grow my pumpkins up a trellis to save ground room and tie the fruit between the fence and trellis for support. My neighboring gardener suggested that I get women's stockings and put the pumpkin in it and tie it to the trellis. That way, the fruit can continue to grow and the stocking expands with it, supporting it throughout. Next month, I'll share pictures of the experiment.

Pumpkins.

Right side bed. Arbol Chili is doing great. It produces handfuls of peppers each year. A great hot pepper for cooking Asian stir fry's, Thai dishes and Latin food. Above that is a Lilac Pepper, which is producing about 5 pepper fruits at this point in the season.

Zinnias.

Yellow Bell Pepper.

Cilantro and Basil.

My Japanese Eggplants are doing AMAZING. They have produced about 7 large eggplants that we have eaten in homemade Thai Green Curry dishes. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment